Saturday, October 24, 2015

Walks and Destinations

It is Fall in the mountains and everyone wants to go on a hike. Nothing is quite so lovely as the golds, reds, and oranges of the trees against a bright blue sky. It is one of those special seasonal treats that you only get to experience a few weeks out of every year. I find it intriguing that there are so many people on the hiking trails - all types of people. There are the folks that walk regularly, trail runners, the leaf season tourists, hiking groups, and people who never consider doing exercise except for hikes during autumn. I am always excited about seeing this mixture of people.

I have written before about exercise and motivation. Whether it is a passion that one has for a certain physical activity, a desire to be healthier, or vanity, almost everyone has to be motivated to make exercise a priority in their everyday lives. I believe one of the appealing things about hiking is that you can get a good workout and also reach a beautiful destination. If you are going to sweat, experience aching muscles, or miss the football game, there better be something that you can look forward to while hiking up that steep mountain trail. Few people are disappointed when they reach the top and look out at those spectacular views, or hear that roaring waterfall.

I believe that walking is one of the best, if not the best, lifetime exercise. It is not generally considered a dangerous sport in which you can seriously hurt yourself. But it helps keep your heart healthy, and is great for emotional and mental health. If just taking a walk in your neighborhood is boring to you, and you can't make yourself do it regularly, try taking walks where you will reach a desirable destination. Whether it be a scenic view, a cafe for lunch, or a cup of coffee, you will have something to keep you walking toward that goal, and to look forward to.

I took several hikes with my husband recently, and enjoyed the leaf colors, rushing river, and peacefulness of the woods. These hikes brought me to great destinations. I also went on a solo walk to my downtown hair cut appointment this week. It was great exercise, and I didn't have to find a parking place, since I walked from my house. I walked a total of 7 miles, and my destination also included grabbing lunch at Tupelo Honey. The thought of mac and cheese certainly motivated me to keep walking. The next time you are having trouble taking a walk or hike, just try to anticipate the amazing sights you will see. And keep walking to the end, particularly if the end includes an unforgettable mountain sight or a doughnut!








No comments:

Post a Comment