Tuesday, October 13, 2015

The Joy of Hip Hop


Although I enjoy many forms of exercise, my favorite is still dancing. The combination of music and movement does wonders for my body and soul. I honestly love a variety of dance rhythms, including Latin, blues, and swing. But I have begun to really enjoy dancing to hip hop music. I appreciate the energy of the music and the freedom of movement that I have when I dance to hip hop. My love for hip hop prompted me to get up early last Saturday to attend a "hip hop burn" class at a gym on the other side of town. Not only was it on the other side of town, but it was a gym that I had never been to.

Looking forward to this new experience, I walked into the class and recognized the instructor as my favorite zumba instructor at my regular gym! I was thrilled, and happy that I knew at least one person. I have been doing zumba for almost 6 years, all over town, and did not recognize one person in the class. One important point, if you have never been to a fitness dance class, is to know that regular dancers have their specific "spot" in the class. Mine is the front row, far left, in every class I attend. I can't explain why- that is just my spot. Class members get testy if a new person stands in their favorite position, so I stood in the next to last row, which is often where new people stand. The music was all hip hop, and I quickly became lost in the upbeat music and intense rhythms. I cannot help but move to hip hop - it is just so much fun!

I have attended other classes with a combination of pop music and hip hop. One time the instructors at my gym did a survey of class members to determine whether they preferred to have more pop routines or hip hop dances. The results showed that there was a 50/50 split, with the younger classmates choosing hip hop and the older choosing pop or retro music. Even though I am definitely in the older age group, I actually like a combination of both, with a slight leaning toward hip hop. (My dream dance class would be half MJ, half hip hop). I think some older folks are bothered by the rough lyrics of hip hop, and the fact that there is more jumping in the dance routines. I will admit that I usually don't hear the words of the songs when I am in class, as I am so busy trying to learn the dance moves and keep from falling down. When I hear these songs on my Spotify lists, I am a little surprised by the "explicit" lyrics. But I am not personally offended, and the beat of the music is so infectious that I get past the words. After all, I am old enough to have heard these words before.

So, my hip hop burn class rocked, and I will keep going to this class, as well as seeking out other such classes in town. The way I see it, there are really no negatives, if you enjoy pure, uninhibited fun with other like minded people. Everyone in this class looked happy, even at 9:00 on a Saturday morning. The baggy clothing is super comfortable, the workout fantastic and the exercise feels like a party. And there is nothing like dancing to Big Sean's "Naked" on a Sunday morning - try it, you will like it!




No comments:

Post a Comment