Friday, October 30, 2015

Best of Halloween: Movies and Songs

Halloween wouldn't be the same without the horror movies and catchy songs. Some of my favorite movies of all time are of the horror genre. Of course, horror movies can range from the really spooky to the slightly amusing. I get a kick out of watching both, and have my favorites from the decades in which I have been viewing them. Halloween songs are usually played by the radio stations on the day itself, but one generally doesn't hear most of these songs again until the next Halloween. I actually have a Spotify Halloween list that I will play during October, so that I can listen for the whole month. So, because I am a "best list" type of person, I am going to give lists of my favorite horror movies, and Halloween type songs.

My top movies are not listed in any order. I tend to prefer the older ones in black and white, but here goes the list.

Halloween (1978, 2007)- The slasher movies about psycho Michael Myers are now a Halloween staple. I like the original because it introduces a young Jamie Lee Curtis. The fact that you never hear Michael Myers' voice gives the movie a terrifying realism not seen in most horror movies.

Phantom of the Opera (1925) - Speaking of not hearing the villain's voice, that certainly is the case with this first version of the movie, starring Lon Chaney. This is a silent movie, but Chaney's make up is so good, that you don't even miss the sound. I recently saw the re-mastered version in a silent film class, and it was amazing for its time. One interesting fact is that Chaney's parents were deaf mutes. This helps to explain his being able to act with his hands and facial expressions so well.

The Invisible Man (1933), and Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (1931) - I put these two early classics about scientists gone mad together because both were made in the "pre-code" Hollywood era. The censorship guidelines were developed in 1934, so that prior to that, there was actually more violent and sexually suggestive material than in movies from 1934 to 1960's. Claude Rains is great as the scientist who terrorizes a town by being invisible.  Fredric March won an Oscar for his performance in Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde and this movie is surprisingly difficult to watch in places because of Hyde's violence toward the female character.

Psycho (1960)- Alfred Hitchcock, Norman Bates, shower scene. And Jamie Lee Curtis's mother, Janet Leigh.

Night of the Living Dead (1968) - This movie really creeped me out the first time that I saw it as a college student at UNC. I remember being rather scared walking back to my dorm in the dark. The movie about zombies was controversial for its time because of the "explicit gore" noted by film critics. It is black and white, but even so, seeing a 13 year girl eating a mutilated arm is some pretty gross stuff. Everyone who likes horror should see this movie once. (did not see the re-make)

Honorable mentions: Carrie (1976) - Sissy Spacek in prom that goes bad and House of Wax (1953), with Vincent Price at his best.

Songs- Of course Michael Jackson's "Thriller" wins hands down for best ever Halloween song and amazing video. But there are a few other good ones.
"Season of the Witch" - Donovan - good song any time of the year
"Werewolves of London" - Warren Zevon - absolutely perfect Halloween song
"I Wanna do Bad Things With You" - Brian 'Hacksaw" Williams - theme song from vampire television show True Blood- great Halloween and my favorite TV theme song of all time
 "Ghosterbusters" - best goofy Halloween song







No comments:

Post a Comment