Thursday, October 29, 2015

Halloween Thriller

Yesterday may have been my most fun Halloween experience ever. My Zumba class, led by the great Natalie at the Reuter YMCA, did a flash mob version of Michael Jackson's Thriller in the lobby. Saying that dancing in a Halloween costume to Thriller with one of my dance groups had been a life long dream is an understatement. Every time that I watch the Thriller video, I have been obsessed with dancing it myself. So when Natalie announced last week that our class was going to do this, I was beside myself. I practiced all last week to the video that was taken in class last week. We were encouraged to wear costumes for our performance so I also spent some time deciding what to wear. I had wanted to put on my last year's flip flop dress from the movie The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert. Unfortunately, this was not going to work, as I could not dance very well in it. I figured that if I was finally getting my chance to dance to MJ, I certainly wanted to dance my best, so my old flapper costume worked much better.



When I arrived for class yesterday, it was evident that all class members had gotten into the spirit of performing Thriller. Everyone was decked out in their favorite costume. There was a bat, a Daisy Duke type with boots, Davy Crockett, Dorothy from the Wizard of Oz, and many colorful Halloween shirts and skirts. Our fearless leader wore a cat costume with whiskers and a tail. It was great to see such enthusiasm! While waiting for class to start, I talked to a class member who said the dancing in a Thriller flash mob had always been on her bucket list. I echoed that sentiment, and overheard other dance mates saying similar things. If you dance, you just want to try to dance like MJ one time!

When we finally arrived in the lobby for our performance, I noticed that there were a number of spectators, several of them holding cameras or phones to make a video of our dance routine. My husband was one of them, as I had bribed him to come along and take pictures and video on his phone. Once the music started, it was evident that everyone was having a fantastic time dancing to this Halloween classic, in true MJ style. I enjoyed every minute, and loved seeing all the zumba lovers laughing out loud with the moves. What a "thrill"!

My husband took a video of most of our performance - will try to send a link to this later. What a fabulous zumba class!! Thank you, Natalie, for allowing me to check off one thing on my bucket list! You rock!!


No comments:

Post a Comment