Friday, October 9, 2015

Pie for Breakfast, Anyone?: Salt Pork Apple Pie

Those of you who read this blog on a regular basis may notice that I alternate blogs about pies with exercise blogs, and throw in an occasional blog about something else, such as gardening. Since I had written about two pies in my last blog, I had planned to write about something other than food this week. But in all honesty, I am so excited about the latest pie that I made, I could not wait another week to write about it. So exercise will have to wait. Let me introduce the Salt Pork Apple Pie to you!

The first time I saw this pie and its description in the Four and Twenty Blackbirds Pie Book, I had trouble conceiving of the pig meets apple combination in a pie. It just seemed too weird, and I resisted trying this recipe because of all of the other mouth watering recipes in the book. But I was fascinated by the idea, and finally decided to go for it, mainly because of the excited look on my husband's face when I mentioned it. The pie has the usual apples, sugar, maple syrup, apple cider vinegar, allspice, cinnamon, flour, and Angostura bitters. (those Elsen sisters love to use liquor in their recipes!). But the salt pork is the key ingredient in this recipe. The recipe says that you cut it into small pieces, cook, and then drain the fat. But, in an interesting twist, you are supposed to add 4 tablespoons of the fat to the apple mixture, as well as the cooked salt pork! Being a Southerner, I was raised on pork fat added to everything, but have learned healthier habits in recent years. So, I could not in good conscience add the pork fat grease. I stuck with only the cooked salt port, which was added in two layers with the apples. By the way, I used three different kinds of apples, as I find a mix of fruit varieties works well. The crust was the usual butter crust, and I sprinkled extra demerara sugar on top to contrast with the salt pork.

I had to have a small sliver of this pie when we returned home after a late evening out. This pie was surprisingly awesome and luscious, with the salt pork, apples, and sugar complementing each other perfectly. I shared the sliver with my husband, who was also blown away with the flavor. We both agreed that it rivals the Salted Caramel Apple Pie from the pie book as our favorite pie. (closely followed by the Lavender Honey Custard). The next morning, I passed by the pie when I poured my morning coffee, and had to have a slice, My husband did the same. What an incredible way to start my morning, and every morning that week, by the way! (in my mind, it is the same idea as eating a bacon doughnut!)  And you manage to get your protein and carbs in as well. (good rationalization, I thought). The truth is, I could not pass by this pie and not cut a slice. I finally hid it in the fridge to try and control my addiction. But this pie is like none other I have made - it is seductive!

This morning, I had the last slice. I thought about sharing it with my husband, but it was a rather small piece, so I thought I might as well finish it off. I apologized to Rich, and told him that I would make him any pie in the Elsens' pie book that he wanted. (there are 58 pie recipes). His response:  he wants the salt pork apple pie next week. Need I say more?

No comments:

Post a Comment