Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Zumba: Love at first Class

2/12/15 - Five years ago, I was looking for a change in my exercise regimen.  I had been playing tennis for over 10 years, was still terrible at it (a discussion for later), and felt like I was losing ground on the middle aged extra pounds.  One day, I was talking with an older woman at my gym in Florida. This woman, in her late 70's and in great shape, had previously taught dancing aerobics, which I had loved in the 80's.  She offered me some advice, saying "Honey, you ought to try Zumba.  It would be right up your alley".  She said it was kind of like dancing aerobics, except with Latin music.

When I returned to Asheville, I found that there were numerous Zumba classes available, and joined a gym that offered them. One of my first days at class, my instructor asked if I was new to Zumba and I said yes.  He said "Welcome to the rest of your life".  How was I to know that he could predict the future?  Since my early classes, I have been addicted to Zumba.  I love everything about it - the upbeat music, the dance routines, the energy in the class, and the skilled instructors.  Fortunately, it came pretty easy to me, as I love dancing.  I was going to class 3-4 times a week, buying cool zumba outfits, and having the time of my life in my fitness world. In the process, I was also losing weight - 10 pounds in six months!  And I really had not significantly changed my diet!

I think a lot of people are scared of Zumba, so let me honestly evaluate what the class is like for a non dancer.  Yes, there are some steps that you must learn as you go along.  There are routines as well, but these generally have a lot of repetition. The Latin music provides music for salsa, cha cha, and merengue, but we sometimes do disco and swing!  There is some jumping, and this scares some people, who are afraid of knee injuries. The key here is to buy the correct shoes - many stores, even the discount ones, sell Zumba shoes, or you can order online.  The shoes will have a circle on the bottom so the you are able to turn without stressing the knees.

The good news is that Zumba participants and instructors are nice folks who don't care if you don't perform the routines perfectly.  They realize that what is important is to get consistent exercise.  It is all about having fun and moving to lively music.  So, I feel it is really a fitness class that everyone can do.  And you men out there - I have a special place in my heart for the men who stick with Zumba classes.  It takes a lot of nerve to be that outnumbered!  And there really are some excellent Zumba male dancers in my classes.

I recently visited Hong Kong, and decided I wanted to try a Zumba class there.  In my class at the California Fitness in Wan Chai, there was me, my instructor, Juan Carlos, and 40 Chinese women shaking it to Latin music.  I realized then that Zumba really is the universal language!

No comments:

Post a Comment