Monday, February 16, 2015

Core classes, Crunches, and Cheap Bikinis

02/16/15 - One day I had finished my usual Zumba class, and was chatting with my instructor after class.  He said "You know, Sylvia, it's great that you like doing Zumba all of the time, but as we age, it is good to try other classes as well;  I particularly think that core classes and weight training are good as we get older."  This was quite upsetting and disturbing to me.  First of all, I was perfectly happy just doing my zumba, and thought I looked pretty fit, so obviously he noticed something about me that I hadn't realized.  Secondly, until that moment, I actually didn't know that I was getting older!

Armed with this new information, I decided to look for some classes that would "be good for me as I get older".  There are many classes that emphasize working on the "core" muscles.  These are, simply put, the muscles of the torso area , with special emphasis on the abdominal muscles.  Supposedly, stronger core muscles will help keep my back strong, and in general, help with day to day activities like bending and lifting.  Core classes go by different names:  core conditioning, abdominal work, mat pilates, and core strength are a few that come to mind.  My gym had a class called "CX works" that was listed as a core strengthening class.  It was recommended by one staff member at the gym, so I decided to try it.  CX works is another class with the Les Mills program, so it is found at many gyms around the world - I even saw one listed on a gym schedule on a recent visit to Hong Kong.

The instructor was very attentive- she would actually look around the room to see if the core moves were being done correctly.  The equipment for the class consisted of a mat, medium hand weights, and bands.  The mat was used when we did crunches. (crunches are modified sit ups;  you don't come entirely up, and your back is more protected that way.  Another classic move for CX works is the "hover", when you are in a push-up position but on your forearms.  Part of the class consisted of what the instructor termed "a holding hover", where you may stay in the position for a period of time. (whatever amount of time the instructor deems appropriate torture).  Bands are used  when we did squats and lunges. All of the above was done to music, and lasted only 30 minutes.

I must say that I thought that first class was really difficult.  I couldn't believe that something that only lasted 30 minutes could cause extreme exhaustion.  There were about 30 women and men in the class, though, so I thought it must get easier with time. But I found out that each class was just as bad as the last!  It never got easier.  However, although class itself was painful, I never suffered pain or injury afterwards.

Two years after that initial class, I am still going to CX works.  The reason?  Because it really does "work"!  I go twice a week at my Florida gym.  My body is stronger and I feel better when I am going to this class.  The instructors are skilled, intense, and mean business.  I don't goof off in this class, and it is not an exercise that I enjoy.  But the reward: I can sometimes wear my cheap bikini at the beach and not scare people off!

No comments:

Post a Comment