Thursday, February 19, 2015

Who's Counting Calories?

02/19/15- I will admit that I love desserts and my husband would say that I have never met a dessert that I didn't like.  There are, however, even for me, some sweets that may not be worth the calories. For instance, if I grab candy from a vending machine, I will ask myself "why did I just eat that substandard, unhealthy treat after walking 5 miles?"  But then there are those delectable delights that I believe are worth every single calorie.  The Salted Caramel Apple Pie from the Elsen sisters'
Four and Twenty Blackbirds cookbook is one of these delicacies.

The Salted Caramel Apple pie was the first pie that I made from their cookbook.  And of the pies I have made thus far, this one remains my favorite.  The recipe includes fresh apples, cinnamon, other spices, and a caramel sauce made from butter and sugar.  The combination of these ingredients with the already delicious butter crust makes an apple pie unlike any other I have ever tasted.  There is quite a bit of prep work, as cutting and coring the apples takes time (although an apple coring device helps with this).  The caramel sauce also takes some time to cook properly and have the correct consistency. (however, the good news is that you can eat the leftover caramel sauce as an extra treat!)  As I have said before, the crust needs to be well chilled before using, so I usually prepare this pie over a 2 day period.

This pie looks as good as it tastes.  The lattice crust makes it look almost like a piece of art.  Lattice pie crusts take extra effort as well.  There are diagrams and detailed directions on how to do the lattice work in the cookbook.  The first time I assembled a lattice crust according to the cookbook instructions, I felt like a rocket scientist!  I was so proud of myself - even if the pie didn't taste good, it looked like a professional baker had made it!

But taste good this pie does.  This is my "go to" pie for any dinner guests.  And it is also my husband's favorite pie from the book thus far.  We have guests here from Asheville now, and I made the pie for last night's dessert.  They loved it as well, and thought it worth the calories.  As I write this, my husband and the guests are kayaking.  Note:  this blog will not have so much information on water activities, as they do not tend to agree with me.  I have previously almost drowned while rafting, and felt like I was dying from an unfortunate sea sickness event in Puerto Rico.  But they will be discussed at some point.  In the meantime, I am here at home doing a few push-ups and getting a piece of salted caramel apple pie while everyone is out!

No comments:

Post a Comment