Saturday, February 21, 2015

Fitness for a Lifetime: Walking

Eight years ago, I had to have surgery on both of my feet.  I was born with bad feet,and after years of running and wearing high heels,  I was having quite a bit of pain.  Before the surgery, my orthopedic surgeon asked me what my goal was for the outcome of the procedure.  My response was that I didn't care that much what my feet looked like and whether or not  I could wear glamorous shoes again.  "All I really want,"  I said, "is to be able to walk for fitness without pain".  Fortunately, the surgeon, whom I think of as a god, accomplished my goal!

I have enjoyed walking for as long as I can remember.  When I was young, our family took camping vacations, and my Dad led us on many hikes.  I thoroughly enjoyed these, and as I got older, this love for walking continued,  whether it was a beach walk, a mountain hike, or a neighborhood stroll.  I did more running than I did walking as exercise for about 10 years, but after the surgery, I made the decision to give up running and become an exercise walker. Luckily, I could now walk 3-4 miles without pain.

I have generally thought of myself as a solitary walker - I actually preferred walking alone.  During my walk time, I could think about life, appreciate nature, and enjoy a little peace away from my work or routine mundane activities.  It was and continues to be for me a kind of "meditation" - meditating and moving at the same time.  I also like the fact that when I am walking solo, I can go at my own pace, which tends to be pretty fast. I often walk alone at the local Arboretum or in my neighborhood. Or I might walk to the beach, take a break on my beach towel, and walk back.  All are very satisfying for me.  One thing that helps me when walking by myself is to have a cool destination, like a restaurant, coffee shop, or a beach.  It is a good motivator to keep going!

The only time that I didn't walk alone was when I was walking with my husband, Rich.  Exercising together is really nice, since our other fitness activities take us on separate "paths"  (him- kayaking and tennis;   me - zumba and group gym classes.  It is also a wonderful opportunity for us to talk with each other- always a good thing for long married couples to do!  Walking on the beach together has always been a treat!

I had never understood the appeal of group walking.  I would notice groups of women walking together in the neighborhood.  Yes, they seemed to be having a good time, but I couldn't grasp the idea of walking and socializing.  That changed for me last spring when I joined a meet-up walking group in Asheville.  Rich encouraged me to join this group that emphasized city walks.  I wanted to know more about walking around North Asheville and downtown, as we had recently moved to that side of town.   I was reluctant, but decided to go on one walk and give it a try.  I think there were eight of us on that first walk, including the leader.  I enjoyed the conversations with group members, and found them to be really fun, interesting people, who, like me, just wanted to get exercise through walking. The group organizer did a great job of setting the pace and making sure that we had adequate water, breaks, and laughs. After joining the group, I  looked forward to these city walks and loved every one of them.  For the first time in my walking life, I realized that walking could also be a social activity!  Additionally,being a part of this group helped me to understand that a 5 or 6 mile walk was something that I could easily accomplish. Prior to my group participation, I generally walked no longer than about 4 miles.  I now regularly walk 5 miles or more several times a week with no problems or pain. The meet-up group helped to give me more confidence in my walking ability.

I can say with certainty that I will walk for exercise for as long as it is physically possible for me to do so.  I will continue my walks with my husband, enjoying the sights in our neighborhood.  I eagerly anticipate being a part of the meet-up walking group once I get back to Asheville and look forward to walking with new and old friends.  And I will continue my solitary walks as well.  I have a goal this year to spend an entire day walking around Asheville, just to see how far my feet will take me.  I could stop for breakfast,  have a mid-day dessert, and walk home to collapse in my garden bench. Who knows - maybe I will cover 10 miles or more with these stubborn feet!

No comments:

Post a Comment