Sunday, September 6, 2015

Unforgettable Desserts

As I have expressed many times in this blog, I love pie and desserts! I believe that my enormous sweets obsession came from my Mother, who both loved sweets herself, and made delicious treats. Fortunately, I have learned that one cannot live on sweets alone, and try to eat a healthy diet most of the time, as well as exercise consistently. When I do eat desserts, I look for quality so that the extra calories are truly worth it. The pies that I make from Four and Twenty Blackbirds Pie Book, by the Elsen sisters, fit that criteria. And I have experienced other fantastic desserts through the years, some of which I can still taste in my imagination! I started thinking on the serious subject of my favorite sweet treats through the years, and thought it might be worth sharing with you. Here are three of my all time favorites!

Creme Brulee - Paris and Bouchon in Asheville
I was lucky enough to visit Paris twice in my lifetime, and one of my favorite things to do was order creme brulee every chance that I got! I love creme brulee because of the creamy, rich, texture, and crunchy topping. At one time, I thought about making this dessert myself, but decided I would rather order one that someone else has taken the time and trouble to make! I have not made it back to Paris, but did discover a comparatively mouth watering creme brulee at the French restaurant Bouchon here in Asheville. Their version is actually a "flight" of four mini creme brulees. They vary the selection. I have eaten the lavender, which is delicious, as well as an unusual rosemary flavored sample. This dessert is satisfying, interesting, and nostalgic for me, as it always reminds me of Paris! Also, there is enough to take home for the next day if you don't share it with your spouse!



Chocolate Lava Cake in Santiago, Chile
Santiago, Chile was a fun city with numerous sights and great desserts. I appreciated the fact that Chileans are really into their sweet treats (postres) and every restaurant or cafe had a variety of items from which to choose. One that I particularly remember is a white chocolate mousse with chardonnay sauce - really different and very yummy! But my favorite Chilean dessert was a Chocolate Lava Cake, eaten at a winery. We had done an all day tour in wine country, and by lunch time (a late, middle of the day meal), I had consumed many glasses of various delicious wines. The lunch appetizers and entree were great, but I honestly did not believe that I had room for a dessert after all of the wine. But the chocolate lava cake was warm, and had a rich, succulent dark chocolate sauce that was so good that I forgot that I was full of wine! I have tasted other lava cakes - really good but not quite at the level of the Chilean version.

Chocolate Chimichanga at Sundown Restaurant in Atlanta
There used to be a great Southwestern restaurant in Atlanta called Sundown. I would go there with my friends for savory lunches and dinners. But the main reason I made so many trips to Sundown was because of a dessert called the Chocolate Chimichanga. A friend recommended it on my first trip to Sundown, and I remembered being puzzled by the idea of a chocolate filled tortilla for dessert! But this heavenly delight was filled with a warm, delectable cream and chocolate sauce which included rum, and I believe, tequilla. The combination of chocolate and alcohol made this an irresistible after dinner treat. I would have easily gone there just for the chocolate chimichanga. Unfortunately, I moved from Atlanta in 2001, and Sundown has closed since then. But my last week in Atlanta in July, 2001, I decided to order one last chocolate chimichanga for lunch. To my horror, the waiter told me that Sundown did not make desserts for lunch! I was almost in tears, and devastated that I might not experience another chocolate chimichanga. My friend, Catherine, knew how disappointed I was not to get that last chimichanga, so later that evening, she brought me one! I ate it the morning that we moved, and it was a perfect farewell to Atlanta! And I have never seen or experienced that dessert again, although I have searched for it.

Other favorite desserts of all time include: every birthday cake that my Mother ever made for me; Elaine's chocolate Vermont cake; Gloria's key lime pie; Ellen's matzo toffee brittle; every dessert at Mayfel's in Asheville that I have eaten. I will keep discovering great desserts. It is a rough job, but somebody has to do it!!








1 comment:

  1. Very cute pics. Easy to tell that you would grow up and be trouble!

    ReplyDelete