Monday, September 14, 2015

Buttered Rum Cream Pie - A Miss That's A Hit

I actually wanted to do an exercise blog this week, since I seem to be writing so much about pie lately. I have been doing my regular zumba, walking, and core classes, although I have not tried anything new lately. At my core class this week, I again ran into my older gym mate who amazes me with her energy. Chatting with her before class, I discovered that her name is Maureen. She is 80, and told me she had already done zumba before the core class. She didn't look tired or winded. I realize that I need to get to know Maureen better, and to find out her secret to fitness rock stardom. In the meantime, I decided to try a new pie instead of a new gym class. This one is the Buttered Rum Cream Pie from the Four And Twenty Blackbirds Pie Book.

I had been wanting to try this pie for quite some time. I love a hot buttered rum drink on a cold winter night after I have skied all day. So this pie sounded like it would mimic this flavor and satisfy my desire for the butter/rum combination. The recipe includes dark brown sugar, cream, whole milk, egg yolks, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, vanilla, and, of course butter and dark rum! The custard is cooked on the stove, not baked as in other custard recipes. The great part of cooking it this way is that I can sneak a taste of the rich, flavorful custard as I transfer it from the pot to the pie pan! It really is an indescribable flavor of the spices with the rum and butter, and it was difficult to resist just going ahead and eating it before chilling it in the fridge and topping with fresh whipped cream!

The custard appeared to be the appropriate texture when I put it in the fridge to set up overnight. The next morning, I excitedly took the pie out and cut myself a slice to taste. Alas-the custard was thin and runny instead of thick! I was, of course, very disappointed, but the mixture still tasted pretty good. I knew that I needed to find a way to save this long anticipated pie. I put it in the freezer, took it out after several hours and then topped with whipped cream, To my surprise, the pie took on the look and taste of a coffee flavored ice cream! It was heavenly, and my husband agreed. I even took some to my friends, after instructing them to keep it in the freezer until ready to eat. They also enjoyed it this way!

I wanted to try again, though, to enjoy this pie as it was meant to be - a rum butter custard. The next day, I put it in the fridge again, and after several hours it softened enough to be sliced as a custard pie. (a little soft, but delicious). Now it did have the taste of the butter rum drink that I remembered, and we ate the rest of the pie this way! I am determined to try this again, and have confidence that I can cook it the way it is supposed to be next time. After reading on the Internet about "custard failures", I realize that I probably undercooked it a tad. (did not let it boil quite long enough).

This pie was delectable in spite of my mistakes, so I will definitely make it again! Meanwhile, I need to get back to the gym this week, try a new class, and attempt to keep up with Maureen in zumba class. Maybe I will offer her a slice of pie in exchange for her secret to eternal fitness!


No comments:

Post a Comment