Monday, March 9, 2015

Fitness and Motivation

I had planned to walk to the beach today. It was a picture perfect day, and the 5 mile round trip walk seemed like a perfect activity. However, while it seemed like a great idea, I couldn't exactly get motivated. Then I remembered the little ice cream/coffee shop right across the street from the beach. The last couple of times I had done this walk, I stopped for a scoop of ice cream. That cup of Chocolate Brownie ice cream was my motivation to do the walk.  Off I headed to the beach, when halfway there, I realized that I had forgotten to put money in my beach bag!  I briefly considered going to the shop and asking the shopkeeper (who had remembered me last time) if I could give him an IOU and bring him the money later. However, I realized how pathetic that was, and continued my walk. I consoled myself by enjoying the beautiful beach weather.

I think that getting motivated to do exercise is the hardest part of implementing a fitness routine. It is just difficult to get started! Who wouldn't rather stay inside by the fireplace when it is 32 degrees outside instead of heading out for a neighborhood stroll to get some exercise? Or why would you choose to go to a group fitness class when you could sit in front of the television with a glass of beer? I consider myself to be pretty disciplined with regard to my fitness program, but I struggle with motivation sometimes, just has everyone does.  So, how does one get motivated to "move it"? I have a list of 5 things that motivate me to do the work. Maybe this will help some of you consider ways to keep participating, even when you don't really want to.  So, here goes:

5.  I know that I will feel better if I do it.  Exercise really does make me feel better, not only physically but more important, mentally!  I have a more positive mood after exercising.  Also, a lot of exercises really challenge me mentally!  Yoga requires focus, dance makes me memorize  new routines, and hiking requires me to pay attention to which direction I am headed. All of this is good for an aging brain.

4.  Many physical activities make it possible to see beauty in nature.  Whether it is hiking, kayaking, biking, or walking, one can appreciate so many scenic experiences in these exercises. Hiking in the mountains enables one to see the blossoms of spring and the brilliant colors of the fall leaves. Kayaking provides amazing views of water and wildlife.(though that is not a regular activity for me).
I have wonderful pictures from doing these activities, and great memories as well.

3.  If I exercise regularly, I can occasionally eat those "bad things" that I like so much. That is why I write about pies as well as exercise!  That doesn't mean you can go crazy on your diet.  But it is nice to have that piece of pie, or that dessert you really want at dinner's end without total guilt.

2.  Exercise will hopefully improve my overall health so that I can live a better, happier life. No one can say with total certainty that keeping fit will make you live longer or happier.  I admire and love my 94 year old mother-in-law.  Her philosophy for many years has been that she doesn't exercise and therefore she doesn't hurt herself.  She really believes that has contributed to her longevity and good health.  But I also believe she has really good genes!  For most people, exercising will keep your weight down, and help prevent diabetes, high blood pressure, and many heart issues. I think exercise is worth it if I might be able to prevent a chronic health condition.

1. And finally my main motivation to exercise is :  Vanity  Yes, I am embarrassed to say that I don't want to gain too much weight and not be able to get into the clothes that I want to wear!  I have always loved clothes and fashion. My grandmother, who is on the far right of the top picture, with my grandfather beside her, enjoyed dressing up. In fact, she loved to talk about how she won the "best dressed" award at her school. I believe that she had flapper tendencies at one time.Maybe it is inherited from her. All I know is that I love to dress up and look forward to "Project Runway" marathons. When I moved to Asheville and spent many hours in the garden, I usually wore overalls. In fact, I wore them all of the time! So much that I didn't realize that under those overalls, I was putting on a few pounds. I couldn't get into my dress up outfits.When I started to take my fitness seriously, I could wear cool clothes again. One way I motivate myself, if I have been working particularly hard, is to go to a clothing store and try on different clothes. I usually don't buy anything - I just want to see if I can wear fashions that I would like to wear. I realize that I am an extreme case, but there may be some of you out there, both men and women, who can be motivated by pure vanity.As I see it - whatever works!

I hope that I can continue to be motivated to keep my fitness routine. As for now, I put a ten dollar bill in my beach bag. I am already prepared for tomorrow's beach walk!
















No comments:

Post a Comment