Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Bourbon and Pie

The Bourbon Pear Crumble Pie from the Four and Twenty Blackbirds cookbook is one that I have made before. We had two thin slices of this delicious pie before I gave it away as a gift to my sister- in- law, who loves every pie in the cookbook. This time, I am making it for guests, but hopefully will enjoy more than 2 thin pieces of this scrumptious pie.

The ingredients are simple:  pears, bourbon, and a few spices. The most difficult part is peeling and slicing the pears. (a lot easier than apples, though!).  The crust is the usual butter crust.  The pears are mixed with spices and flour, but the secret ingredient is bourbon.  (As I have stated before, the Elsen sisters love to use alcoholic beverages in their pie recipes). The topping is an oatmeal/brown sugar/ butter mixture.

This pie is truly delectable from the first bite and 30 seconds later when my plate was clean.  The combination of the pears and bourbon is unique and inspiring to the taste buds.  My husband, an admitted non-sweet eater, ate two slices last night, and the guests haven't even arrived yet!  He has already asked me not to give any extra to the guests to take with them.  Delicious and easy to make are the two requirements I have to make a recipe over and over again. This one definitely fits the bill!


No comments:

Post a Comment