Monday, March 30, 2015

Exercising just because it is good for you

As you have probably guessed by now, I generally enjoy the exercises that I engage in. I get energized dancing to lively music, get lost in thought while hiking a scenic mountain trail, and appreciate the calm, focused feel of a yoga class. Yes, all of these forms of fitness not only excite me but make me a healthier person. However, I will be honest and admit that I am not always eager to break away from my gardening so that I can attend a core strengthening class. These classes involve using muscles that I don't think about on a day to day basis, but are reported to be very important in overall fitness, particularly as one gets older. Doing exercises to improve one's abdominal and torso muscle strength can also help with back issues, if performed correctly.

I regularly attend classes that are called "core conditioning" or "pilates" classes to help with my core strength. I was introduced to pilates about 13 years ago, when I moved to Asheville.  The term "pilates" refers to the founder of this particular form of exercise. The man was Joseph Pilates, born in Germany, but migrating to the US in the 1920's.  Joseph Pilates was a gymnast, bodybuilder, and diver. He wanted to constantly work to improve his physical conditioning, and developed a set of mat exercises that emphasized using core muscles and breathing techniques. He and his wife offered classes to others, and these exercises gradually became well-known, particularly to dancers. This type of core training was very useful to ballerinas, who need extraordinary core strength and endurance.

Pilates has now become popular in most gyms around the country. Even if a core conditioning class is not actually called a pilates class, it usually has many of the poses and moves that were first used by Joseph Pilates. I can say from experience that core training classes are not easy. It is important to have a trained exercise professional to explain and demonstrate the correct form, so that one does not end up injured. Most core classes last 45 minutes to an hour. Some have background music. I actually prefer that, as it seems to make the time go by faster for me.

Although I don't really look forward to core classes, I always try to go once or twice a week. I feel that my posture has improved since going regularly, and I rarely have any back issues that are so common as one ages. I went to two different core conditioning classes at my gym last week. They were different, as one almost had a calm yoga feel to it, while the other was a more intense and concentrated core workout. Both were beneficial, and I like the fact that there is a little variation in the way that an instructor may teach a core class.

If you have never tried a core conditioning or traditional pilates class, I suggest that you try it. Be sure and communicate with the instructor if you have any back issues before the class. I plan to go to a core conditioning class tomorrow morning, even though it is supposed to be a beautiful morning in which I could be planting seeds in my garden. But I remember Joseph Pilates, who started these exercises so that he could improve his overall fitness. Sometimes we have to do things just because they are good for us!

No comments:

Post a Comment