Thursday, January 3, 2019

What To Bring to Hong Kong



Packing for an overseas trip is always a daunting task, but is especially tricky when you are spending an entire month or more away from home. Although I had been to Hong Kong several times, this is the longest time I have spent, and I realized when packing to come here that I needed to make some tough decisions about what to bring. Now that I will be leaving here for home in a few days, I thought I could share information about what I am very glad I brought, what I wish I hadn’t brought, and what I wish I had brought more of.  This information may be geared more to women, but I will share a few ideas from my husband as well.

1. Bring a lot of underwear and socks. No one wants to be doing laundry constantly, so have enough for 2 weeks. Undergarments and socks do not take up that much suitcase room, so this is easy. I did well on this, but Rich wished he had brought more socks.

2. Bring comfortable walking pants, like hiking pants. I brought 2 pairs but should have brought a third. I felt that I would need dressier items, particularly at night. Actually, Hong Kong residents are mostly very casual, and comfort seems to be a priority, So pack the clothes that make for easy walking up and down the many Hong Kong hills and steps.

3.Bring your most comfortable pair of walking shoes; you will be wearing these for most of your stay. Women and men here wear their sneakers almost everywhere, Again, with the numerous steps and hills here, it makes sense. Women wear sneakers even with their nice dresses. I wish I had left 2 pairs of my boots at home, particularly the ones with 2 inch heels. Bring sneakers and one nice pair of shoes for nighttime when you are taking a taxi to the restaurant.

4. Bring one pair of  jeans, one skirt, and one nice dress. And bring your fave tops to wear with these at night. If you need an extra pair of jeans when here, you can buy at Zara Dept. store here at a reasonable price.

5. Bring one scarf. Additional scarves can be bought here for 6-10 American dollars.

6. Bring a large purse for daytime and a small purse for evening. Trust me when I say that Hong Kong is very safe, and you don’t need to worry constantly about pickpockets or purse snatchers.


7. Bring at least one wash cloth from home. I remembered from my last Asian trip that these are not always provided, even at hotels. Rich had forgotten this, and we did end up buying a few extras.

8. Ladies, bring a flat iron, or hairdryer, or whatever is your favortite hair tool. Make sure your tool converts to 250 watts,

9. Bring one fave jacket, but buy one in Hong Kong as well. Some of my best jackets and coats have come from here. Clothing prices in Hong Kong are generally reasonable.  But you will probably need to go up a size - clothing tends to run small here.

10. My clothing items I could not have done without: hoodie, my red light rain jacket, scarf, hiking pants, sneakers.

Hope these help you in packing for your trip to Hong Kong. Hope I have enough room in my suitcase for my purchases here! (Another thing to consider).


























No comments:

Post a Comment