Wednesday, January 30, 2019

A Perfect Combination: Chocolate Julep Pie



Chocolate is popular in desserts everywhere, and I have always been particularly fond of chocolate based pies. The Elsen sisters have several types of chocolate pies in The Four and Twenty Blackbirds Pie Book. One that caught my attention was The "Chocolate Julep Pie". I appreciate the combination of chocolate and peppermint, so I wanted to give this recipe a try.

This recipe calls for bittersweet chocolate, eggs, milk, and cream for the custard-like filling. In addition, bourbon, peppermint extract, and bitters are the flavors that make this pie unique. The filling is poured into a regular partially pre-baked butter crust, and baked for 35 minutes. The result was a pie with a rich, dark chocolate flavor and a smooth as silk texture. The bourbon and peppermint were the right balance so that the peppermint did not overpower the chocolate, as I have noticed in other mint/chocolate combinations. The final touch was a dollop of fresh whipped cream.

The "Chocolate Julep Pie" will definitely be made again, as I was surprised pleasantly by the flavor mix. Another plus to this pie is that it is an easy one compared to other pies in the book. Considering that I still have 28 more pies to make from this pie book before I complete my goal to make all of them, that is a good thing!






No comments:

Post a Comment