Wednesday, November 22, 2017

Adventures in Sarasota: City Walking



Florida weather is very lovely this time of the year, and and entices people do many outdoor exercise activities such as golf, tennis, kayaking, beach walking, and even hiking. Hiking here in Sarasota, unlike the Asheville area, is generally on mostly flat, sandy land. I have always enjoyed walking around town in Asheville, both for exercise and to explore the the various shops and eateries on the way. I decided to use my some of my time here in Sarasota to observe my surroundings by foot. Cars are literally everywhere in this city, and walking can be a risky activity. But driving here can be dangerous also, so I set out on a six mile round trip walk from my neighborhood to the mall.


This walk consists of walking on sidewalk all the way by Highway 41 to the Westfield Siesta Kay Mall. Traffic noise is a constant on this major road. But there are unique sites along the way which help me to block out the hectic stream of automobiles. I love the views of Phillippi Creek, and have a peaceful moment. People come to Florida for vacation to experience these amazing water views.


At 11:00 in the morning, the bright sun is already hot, and I realize that I need hydration, as well as a late breakfast. So I stop at Starbucks and order ice coffee and a bagel. This is nothing particularly special, but there are no local coffee shops along here, and Starbucks is nothing if not consistent. The bagel is good and I get a nice caffeine bolt from coffee. I am ready to forge ahead to get to the mall by the noon opening.


This route has a number of small, older strip malls, but unfortunately, none of these are particularly unique. An exception is Giggles, Sarasota's main exotic wear and adult toy shop. I had driven by Giggles for a number of years until curiosity made me finally go inside several years ago. I ended up buying a "Santa Baby" tank top to wear to my dance exercise holiday class. (Giggles has a good variety of regular dance wear). I want to take another look inside, but unfortunately, it is closed this morning. I will need to make my yearly Giggles visit another day!

At this point, I am less than a mile from the mall. There are several chain stores and restaurants, namely Trader Joe's and Chili's Restaurant. The Trader Joe's on Highway 41 is always busy. Judging from the packed parking lot, I think that this is the single most popular food store in Sarasota.(as it is in most cities).

I get to the mall, and manage to do some light shopping at Macy's. I can only buy things that will fit into my light weight bag. After looking around the mall for an hour or so, I need more hydration before starting the trek back. A colorful little cafe called Cravings has opened where a Starbucks used to be inside this mall. I enjoy a berry iced tea and was refreshed for the walk back home.


The trip back is fast - no stopping at the shops on the way back. Traffic has picked up, and the noise is even louder! I do notice the colorful tube art sculptures called Tube Dude, which are all over Sarasota. The one I see is at an entrance to a veterinarian - a cat being carried on a stretcher!  As as I reach the entrance to my neighborhood, however, there is quiet. I appreciate the calmness.

I have come to the following conclusions after my exercise fitness walk in the city:  1. Always wait for the pedestrian signals at intersections, and start across carefully;  2. Staying hydrated is essential when walking in Florida;  3. Walking to the mall is probably safer in this town than driving. Plus, I get great exercise.
Until my next city walk....!!



No comments:

Post a Comment