Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Searching for Yoga in All the Wrong Places

One would assume that finding a good yoga class in Asheville would be as easy as finding a hiking trail here. There is hot yoga, flow yoga, and restorative yoga, among others, and it seems as though there is a yoga center on every street corner. And Asheville is known for having experienced, skilled yoga instructors for all levels and ages. So why have I had such a difficult time finding a yoga class here that I consistently like and from which I benefit?

When I joined my gym here, I noticed the different yoga classes it offered, and wanted to try them. The first class I attended was taught by a lively young man who was obviously great at yoga poses. I liked his sense of humor, and has hopeful that I had found my class. The problem was that he never stopped talking! Part of what I appreciate about yoga is that it forces me to really focus, as some poses are very challenging for me. It seems fun to have your instructor cracking jokes, but in actuality, it was too distracting for me to get a good yoga workout.

So I decided to try other yoga classes there. I still consider myself to be a beginner, so I went to a level 1 class at my gym. Although I liked the style of this instructor, the class was too easy, even for a yoga novice like myself. When I am the youngest and most flexible member of the class, there is a problem! Since I liked this instructor, I decided to try an "all levels" class with her. There were different ages and levels in the class, but this class was a restorative type class - long held, mainly mat stretching which involved holding poses for 10 minutes at a time. The instructor read inspirational readings through the class, which I actually liked. But the physical part was just not the type of yoga that I wanted.

The following week, I decided to try a yoga class that was described as being a combination of yoga and core work. This time, I had a too chatty instructor who also made annoying breathing noises.It was impossible for me to properly focus, and I was more stressed when I left than when I got there! (this reminds me of my husband's first yoga instructor, who yelled at him when he was doing a pose incorrectly - talk about stress!)

I was getting frustrated at not finding the yoga experience that I was looking for, and was considering going to one of the many yoga studios in town. But my cheap nature wanted to try just one more class at my gym. This one had actually been recommended by one of my zumba instructors. It is called a flow yoga class, open to beginning and intermediate levels. The instructor is young, quiet, and obviously serious about her yoga practice. Class members tend to be in the 30's-60's range, and there is quiet music in the background and dimmed lighting. We do a range of different poses, both standing and on the mat. We hold the poses briefly and move on to another, but repeat some poses throughout the hour. This class is a workout, particularly the balance poses, which are always problematic for me. The instructors gives specific but not overly done instructions, and checks on us periodically to make sure that our bodies are at least resembling the pose we are supposed to be doing. Some things are above my level, (like head stands, which I will never do), but I stay focused and work hard in this class. After attending this class for three times now, I believe that I have found my zen experience!

So what I learned from my yoga class search is that persistence often pays off. If at first you aren't thrilled with a particular exercise class or instructor at your gym, there may just be another that you just haven't discovered yet. And a good instructor is essential! Yesterday I was settled into a nice pigeon pose when my instructor came over and gave me a short neck massage. How she knew that my neck was tight I don't know, but I will definitely be back next week!







No comments:

Post a Comment