Wednesday, December 12, 2018

The Magic of Hong Kong




Well, we are here! After 39 hours of travel that included a 10 hour layover in Zurich, we made it to Hong Kong! This is out third trip to Hong Kong, and, at a month, will be our longest. I have said that Hong Kong is my favorite city in the world of the places that I have traveled. It is certainly not an easy trip, and I have wondered if my decision to make an extended trip here would be worth it. We decided to stop in Zurich on the way, as it would give us a chance to walk around a bit, see a little of Zurich, and break up the plane trip. I traveled to Zurich many years ago, but had never been to the Christmas market. This is a lovely area indoors with numerous vendor stalls, decorations, and restaurants. What a great way to spend some time on our layover before getting on an almost 12 hour plane trip to Hong Kong. And Rich had a good time trying on a flashy jackets in downtown Zurich. I am looking forward to his up and coming appearance with Tyra on America’s Top Model!

We were elated to finally get to Hong Kong. We love our apartment in the Central District of the city,
which is convenient to numerous restaurants, bars, and shops. In addition, it has the most spectacular views that one can imagine, both from our living room and bedroom windows, and from our private rooftop terrace on the 36th floor. We managed today to go grocery shopping, visit fitness centers to decide which we might join during our stay here, do some shopping at the mall, enjoy a drink on our outdoor terrace, and have pho at a restaurant within a short walking distance from our apartment.

So far, I can stay that I am still in love with this city. Yes, there are hundreds of people walking in narrow spaces, a lot of walking with steep hills, buses, cars, and crowded trains. So - what’s not to love?? It is relatively easy to visit for and Asian city, as most people speak at least a little English, since Hong Kong was a British colony until the Chinese took over 20 years ago. I think of Hong Kong as a marriage between the East and West, mixing the best of both. By far my favorite aspect of Hong Kong is its beauty, particularly at night. With the verticality and spectacular lights, the bay, and the mountains, Hong Kong is hard to match. I look forward to learning more about this amazing place. Stay tuned! By the way, so far there have been no squat toilets, I am happy to report!





No comments:

Post a Comment