Saturday, February 20, 2016

Pole Dancing: A Fitness Adventure


When planning my recent trip to Miami, my initial research involved looking for a zumba class. Since I am such a zumba fanatic, and zumba started in Miami, I knew that I had to experience at least one class. I found a reasonably priced class that was within walking distance of my hotel, and it was located in a pole dance studio. I thought that this was curious, and called before my trip to make certain that there was indeed a zumba class there. The receptionist verified that there was. I then decided to try a pole dance class and a zumba class.


When I arrived at the studio, I was told that either a basic pole class, or a pole fitness class would be appropriate for a beginner like myself. I decided on the pole fitness, but thought that I might come back later in the day for the basic pole, followed by the zumba class. The pole dance studio was pretty much what I expected - poles, mirrors, and dimmed lighting. Interestingly, there was a sign posted that said that inappropriate clothing would not be tolerated! Their website had said that participants should wear short shorts and a tank top. I had gone to a cheap beachwear store and purchased those. But after reading the sign about inappropriate clothing, I worried that perhaps staff would think that mini shorts and a tank top would be indecent clothing for a 64 year old woman!

The instructor introduced herself as Svetlana, and she was a young, petite woman with a Russian accent. Class participants were 3 twenty-somethings, all in incredible shape. I was definitely the "elder" in the class, but honestly did not feel that Svetlana held this against me. In fact, I think that she saw me as a challenge, and would try to help me with various moves. I began to realize pretty soon that pole dancing requires excellent core strength. We started out by doing a number of planks, push-ups, and crunches. Fortunately, I go to a regular core class, or I would have probably collapsed after the first five minutes. But I will admit that I was pretty winded. Squats are apparently another fitness necessity for pole dancers, and we must have done at least a hundred of them - seriously! These were done while holding onto the pole, and squatting as low as possible. My inner thighs were beginning to burn, but I did survive. We also used the pole to hold onto while we did side stretches for the waist.

I was feeling pretty good at this point because I managed to do everything asked of me. But then Svetlana threw in a move that I knew I wasn't going to like: a headstand with legs wrapped around the pole. Headstands are one thing that I avoid in life - I always skip those in my yoga class. It is a fear I will injure my neck and be incapacitated. I told Svetlana that I didn't think my doing a headstand  was a good idea but she insisted that she would help me. She did, and there I was, on my head with my legs around the pole! But then panic set in: how was I going to get down without breaking my neck? Fortunately, Svetlana sensed my panic and helped me get down. But then she wanted me to do another one! She insisted that I was strong enough, but I told her I would skip the second. At the end of the class, I was pretty exhausted, and decided to skip the basic pole and instead go to brunch for bacon and waffles! I did however, return later in the day for the zumba class that I was searching for to begin with. It was a great, energetic class led by a young man named Alex, and it lived up to my expectation of a class in the city where zumba was born.

I will say that I am very glad that I did the pole dance class, for several reasons. For one thing, it was challenging but fun! Secondly, it made me appreciate the intense conditioning that pole dancers go though in order to do their jobs! Finally, I was forced to accept the stern reality that pole dancing would not be my retirement career! I will say that if I ever have the opportunity to see a pole dancer standing on her head with her legs around the pole, I will give her a $20 bill!






No comments:

Post a Comment