Saturday, July 25, 2015

Working out to the Sound of Music

I went to a new exercise class at my gym last week. It was a class that was supposed to be a combination of yoga and core work. I generally like this kind of workout, as I feel you can get a lot of bang for your bucks by combining two different classes in one hour. However, I was pretty disappointed in this particular class. For one thing, there was mostly yoga and very little core work. The yoga was not the quality that I expected. And frankly, she had an annoying voice, which is particularly unfortunate for someone who is teaching a yoga class. But the worst part for me is that she had no background music. For me, this is essential for my enjoyment of any fitness class.

Many of you are probably thinking that I shouldn't be complaining about the lack of music in a yoga/core class. Yoga classes are quiet, meditative exercises, so why does one need music? I disagree with this opinion. Even quiet "yoga music" helps me to get through the more difficult parts of the class. It puts me in good spirits and improves my mood. I find that music actually keeps me focused, makes the class less boring, and helps the time go faster for me.

As I have said before, I love dance exercise classes, so my early entry into fitness included dancing aerobics in the '80's to the sound of Michael Jackson, Cyndi Lauper, Madonna, and Bruce Springsteen, among others. The lively music kept me motivated and kept me going to class! I still remember certain dance routines back then because of the great songs. I will never forget the "Thriller" routine. Now I dance to zumba music to the tunes of Pitbull, Jennifer Lopez, and Ricky Martin. What can be better than exercising to Pitbull's "Fireball"?

A couple of years ago, I began to explore other types of fitness such as strengthening classes, pilates and yoga. At that time, very few of the instructors of these classes played background music, other than the occasional yoga meditative music. But I took a class called synergy that was musically choreographed. As we did pilates, yoga, and tai chi moves, the music was coordinated with the moves. I loved it and became a regular because of this. I noticed that gradually other core classes started adding background music. I often participate in a class called CX works, a core class in which the music and moves are synchronized. This is a very challenging class with a fiery, red headed  instructor who I secretly call "the drill instructor". I struggled the first time I attended, but hearing "Some Nights" by Fun got me through it.


The truth is, music always makes me happy but doing exercise doesn't necessarily make me happy! I sometimes need motivation to keep going during those grueling core crunches, or never ending upper body workouts. I attended a core conditioning class this week and while doing the fab five pilates poses, the Rolling Stones' hit "Sympathy for the Devil" was rocking it in the background! This gave me pleasant memories of the recent Rolling Stones concert I attended in Raleigh and I practically breezed through those moves! (in my dreams). Now, all of the gym classes that I attend have music, and I will only go to those that do. Whether it be pilates, spinning, dancing, or strengthening, music is a requirement for me. If you are having trouble with exercise motivation, I encourage you to try the fitness and music combination. After all, "you can't always get what you want, but if you try sometime, you just might find, you get what you need!"











No comments:

Post a Comment