Saturday, June 27, 2015

Fitness and Routines

Since I started writing this blog in February, I have attempted numerous classes at my gym, including zumba sentao, flow yoga, traditional yoga, dynamic core yoga, pilates, body combat, balletone, dance trance, muscle pump, cx works, integrated strength, gentle yoga, and core conditioning. My goal has been to discover new and different ways of getting exercise, and to share those experiences through my blog. I wanted to see what would happen if I broke away from my usual fitness routine of zumba 3 times a week, walking 2-3 times a week, and push-ups.

I will say that my fitness routine has changed since starting this blog - I now have no regular exercise routine! This doesn't mean that I don't exercise. Instead of having a set, written in stone plan , I tend to try different fitness activities and go with the flow. Ironically, this has led to my being more fit! I believe that cross training really does work. Since doing activities that work all parts of my body, I don't experience some of the aches and pains that had previously bothered me.(like that pain in my right shoulder). I feel stronger, both mentally and physically. I want to share some of the things that I have learned from my fitness journey of the past few months. Perhaps it may encourage some of you to try something new and different in the exercise world. Below are a few observations and lessons that I will pass on.

1. Don't be afraid to try a new group exercise class -just do it!  Personally, I was forever worried that if I tried a new class I would screw up, make a fool of myself, and never come back to that class. So for years of going to the same gym, I basically went to the same class, zumba! I loved it, was good at it, and that was enough. Now I realize how much I was missing. And the funny thing is no one is watching you, so it doesn't matter if you make a mistake! The exception to this might be that a good instructor is watching you - to make sure that you don't hurt yourself. A few weeks ago, my instructor in a core class said "the woman in the back row with the pony tail" (me) "is doing a pose that is entirely different from the rest of the class". I realized that she was indeed talking about me, and shrugged my shoulders. She then said "actually, what you are doing is kind of cool", and demonstrated my made up pose. The point? It doesn't matter if you are not perfect!

2. You might meet some nice people by trying different types of exercise. I never expected that making new friends would be a reason to mix up my exercise options, but it has been a pleasant bonus. I talk to some folks on a regular basis, and have even made contacts that I will socialize with outside of class. If you think about it, you might have something in common with others who exercise on a regular basis, and I have found that I often meet interesting people who even inspire me to try new classes and challenge myself.

3. Getting out of a regular routine opens up new possibilities. Of course there are benefits to having a regular routine, particularly if you are working full time, or involved in many non-exercise activities, like volunteer work. But I feel that breaking up my routine has allowed me to be more adventurous. I don't always know what to expect, and this is good for my mental status, particularly as I get older. I am constantly learning new fitness techniques, and I therefore I exercise my brain as well as my body.

I will continue to talk about exercise in this blog, and that includes my experimenting with various classes at my gym. I still want to try spinning, TRX, and kickboxing, just to name a few. And I am still going to write about making pies. But I plan to expand my blog so that I can also discuss other topics, like gardening and travel. So be prepared for an expanded blog with a new name - once I decide what that will be. Until then, keep moving and eat an occasional piece of pie to reward yourself.



No comments:

Post a Comment