Thursday, April 30, 2015

Fun and Fitness in Portland, Oregon

This past weekend, I was visiting my daughter and her wife in Portland, Oregon. Portland is a cool and beautiful city with glorious gardens, friendly people, and amazing restaurants. We always find a variety of activities to do in Portland. The only concern we have when traveling to Portland is how often we will find ourselves experiencing the Northwest rain! Many of my trips to this interesting city have found me wearing my raincoat while walking on the great urban trails, hiking in the Columbia River Gorge, and strolling through the Japanese garden. Since rain had been predicted for most of the weekend, I thought it might be wise to consider the different indoor and outdoor options for fitness during the weekend.

One of the best draws of Portland is their creative restaurants, particularly those with brunch. Breakfast and brunch are really popular here, and there are lines at most of the well-known spots. Our first morning found us at a place called Country Cat, where I had a delicious egg scramble with fresh veggies, and an amazing French toast. It was starting to sprinkle outside when I suggested that we go bowling. I could not remember the last time that I had been bowling, but I can tell you that paper score keeping was still utilized! Allison and Megan were much better than Rich and I at the beginning. While Rich did improve his score after a couple of frames, I was at least consistent! Despite my low scoring and poor form, I did really enjoy bowling, and would go again on a rainy day. This particular spot also had good beer, for which Portland is known. We went to several brew pubs while were were there. I even had one very unique stout called "Smore", which came with a toasted marshmallow!

We saw sunshine the second day of our trip, and we took advantage by being out and about most of the day. Brunch at a place called Tabor Tavern, a beer pub, was surprisingly good, with creative egg dishes and yummy breakfast cocktails.  I had one with elderberry syrup, honey, lavender and cava. I always enjoy starting the day with a cocktail when I am on vacation, and this one was perfect. Afterwards, we decided to go to the Crystal Springs Rhododendron Gardens, which are housed at Reed College. Fortunately for us, the blooms were at their absolute peak and it was truly a wondrous sight. I don't think I have ever seen so many perfect rhododendron specimens, including the gardens I visited in England. The consistent rain of the Northwest coast is perfect for most plants, and the gardens I have seen in Portland, Seattle, and Vancouver are the best, in my opinion. We visited a beer pub before dinner, and enjoyed our beer outside in bright sunshine! One thing about Portland residents is that they always take advantage of a sunny day - everyone is outside! After dinner, I suggested that we go to a karaoke bar for entertainment. The name of this one was "Chopsticks", and performers sang everything from MJ to Queen. It was hilarious, and next time I am in Portland, I am going to practice an MJ song to perform!

Our last day was a weather mix, but we did a lot of walking around anyway. Our daily brunch was at a Cajun style cafe, Dishes like the traditional shrimp and grits were on the menu along with fried chicken and beignets, a new take on fried chicken and waffles! We spent time walking in the Hawthorne area later in the afternoon. This area is full of vintage shops, book stores, and a great little doughnut shop called Blue Star. Portland's Voodoo Doughnuts has always been the gold standard for doughnuts, but this one is definitely giving it a challenge, which such tasty treats as "Blueberry Basil" and "Mexican Hot Chocolate". I had both of these, and did not regret the calories I consumed!

We had a great time in Portland, as is always the case. Great food, great drinks, and wonderful company make a fabulous trip. And we even managed to get in some exercise, both indoors and out!
Can't wait to go back in July!! Love you, Allison and Megan!!





No comments:

Post a Comment